I have an awesome Aunt and Uncle who gift us a book every Christmas. This has been going on as long as I can remember. When we were little, a check was always tucked deep inside - I think it was their sneaky way of seeing whether or not we actually read the books.
We were allowed to open one gift on Christmas Eve and always chose the one from them knowing it was a book. I'd like to say we chose it because of our love of reading, but the truth was, we wanted to get the book out of the way. We were avid readers, but what kid wants a book for Christmas when you might have some awesome toys under the tree? Now that I'm a grown up (and so much more mature, hee hee), I have grown to treasure receiving those books and look back at this longstanding tradition with fondness. I lost my Uncle in October 2009, but the tradition continues with my Aunt now at the helm.
This year, I received An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin, which I have read and will review, but later. The one I want to talk about today is the one my Mom received - Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks.
Now, I have been a fan of Nicholas Sparks a long time. It all started while walking through the mall one day. I walked past Waldenbooks (anyone remember those?) and a book called out to me. It was The Notebook. I had no intention of purchasing this book because I was a poor college student who didn't have that kind of money to spend on a book (it wasn't available in paperback yet) especially by an author I'd never heard of. I walked on by but couldn't get the feeling that I was supposed to buy it out of my head. I ended up walking back past the store again where the urge overtook me. It was the best purchase EVER! If you've read the book, you know what I'm talking about. I had seen the movie "Message in a Bottle", but had no idea it was inspired by Nicholas Sparks first book until after I became a fan.
Since that time, Nicholas Sparks has never failed to make me shed a tear. Safe Haven is no exception. It's the story of Katie, a girl who runs away from her previous life and lands in the small town of Southport. She gets a job as a waitress and slowly finds acceptance, friends and love. I thought I was going to make it through without crying, but ole Nick threw a twist in the end that brought me to tears.
If you're a fan of the happily ever after love tale, even when that love has obstacles along the way that can be life-threatening, then this book is for you. It's kinda predictable since we all know the main character will win in the end, but still worth the time. It's a book about new beginnings and hope - an easy read and a good love story.
If you're a fan of the happily ever after love tale, even when that love has obstacles along the way that can be life-threatening, then this book is for you. It's kinda predictable since we all know the main character will win in the end, but still worth the time. It's a book about new beginnings and hope - an easy read and a good love story.
The only Nicholas Sparks book I haven't read ironically is Message in a Bottle. I couldn't bear to read the book after I'd already seen it on the big screen. And conversely, I've never seen any of the movies inspired by his other books. I like the pictures I have in my head and don't want to let anyone else in who might screw with my perceptions.
Anyway, read the book - you won't be sorry!
Anyway, read the book - you won't be sorry!

Picked up Safe Haven at the library this weekend...guess I'll read it first:) His book The Choice is AWESOME.
ReplyDeleteI'm a fan of NS, too. I've read them all, and 5 are signed by him. The only one I haven't loved is Nights in Rodanthe-- and even that one was still entertaining!
ReplyDelete