Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Beginning

I've been reading blogs for quite some time and have been toying with the idea of starting one of my own.  Problem is, how on earth do you come up with a name?  Something catchy?  Something easy to remember?  Something with meaning to your life?  I wanted something that had some meaning in my own life, so here are 2 of the reasons I named this blog One White Horse.

When I was 10, our family was moving from California to Oklahoma.  I was bummed because I was getting ready to be in 4th grade...and in 4th grade in California, you got to take swimming lessons - during school!  How cool was that?  So, my parents come up with this genius idea to move back to the state they both grew up in - Oklahoma?  Not good for the girl who was looking forward to some serious pool time.  So, how did my Dad entice me to change my mind about the move?  With a horse, of course!  "Oklahoma", he said, "has all kinds of trees and land and we'll be able to get a horse".  He didn't have to say it twice - I was sold and my dreams of "Winnie" began.  I'll tell the rest of the story later, but suffice it to say, I never got the horse.  So naming my blog One White Horse is a tribute to the Winnie I never got.

Secondly, on the morning's that I take my daughter to daycare, we pass a big horse pasture.  If it's too early, the horses won't be up yet.  But, if they are grazing in the field, I always point them out to her (or she does to me).  There are numerous horses in that field, but only one white horse.  She's so beautiful she stands out amongst the others and I notice her every time.  She doesn't command attention, but certainly stands out because she's different than the others.  I strive to be that one white horse, making a difference in the lives of those I love and someone my husband and daughter will always think stands out in a crowd, even if I'm not commanding attention.

So there you have it, corny as it may be.  My first post is now officially complete.  

No comments:

Post a Comment